Friday, July 22, 2011

Happy Birthday To Me!

Last week we celebrated my 25th birthday! It's hard to believe that these years keep flying by. Since my birthday fell on a weekday, Dustin and I decided to celebrate over the weekend by arranging a little getaway to Virginia Beach.

I bought us a set of tickets to the Tim McGraw concert in VA Beach, arranged a hotel room for the night, and then we were off Saturday morning. The 4-hour drive was a long one, but it actually went by a lot quicker than I think we both expected.





After settling into our hotel, we headed to Waterman's, which was right on the beach. I thought it was great that they offered free valet parking, because the parking situation by the beach definitely seemed to be a bit difficult. We got a table on the patio, sipped on some yummy summer drinks (their signature drink, the Orange Crush, has real fresh-squeezed orange in it - watch out for the seeds!), and enjoyed some yummy conversation. After spending a week visiting the family, we had a lot to talk about. And now that hubby's deployment is approaching, we had a lot to talk about. So many decisions to make about reenlisting or getting out, saving extra money for a house while he is deployed, what to do about his car, etc. Even though the food was a bit pricey, I thought the atmosphere was just right for some relaxing and chatting.





After dinner, we headed over to the amphitheater for the concert. The tickets said 7:30, and we arrived at around 7:15, but it was a big bummer to find out we had already missed the first opening act, The Band Perry! We bought some outrageously priced drinks, found our seats, and had a great time singing along to some good ole country music. I didn't realize how many Luke Bryan songs I recognized, and Tim McGraw was just awesome, broken foot and all :)







We ended up heading back to our hotel, in Portsmouth, VA and found some pretty hopping bars on the corners opposite to our hotel. We listened to some good live music, ate some tasty bar food, and sipped on mixed drinks. The best part was, we simply had to walk about 25 feet to get back to our hotel lobby. It sure made me reminisce on the convenience of going out on the town back in college, and being able to walk back to my apartment and even be able to pick up a Papa John's pizza on the way back. Aah, those were the good old days!

On Sunday morning we had a fantastic brunch, complete with mimosas, in downtown Norfolk. We left our mini-vacation saying that we definitely want to head back here one more weekend before Dustin is deployed. Maybe for a cool fall visit to Busch Gardens Williamsburg!







On the actual day of my birthday Dustin surprised me by hiding some gifts "from the kitties" around the house for me to find while he was at work. I can't believe he was able to find cards with cats that look JUST like our cats!



In the evening, we grilled some T-bone steaks and made some Olive Garden style salad for dinner. Dustin bought me an awesome cookie cake (my absolute favorite kind of cake) and my parents sent me a wonderful gourmet basket full of goodies - a bottle of wine, crackers, cheese, mixed nuts, and chocolate. We enjoyed these cool treats for a couple nights later in the week.



All-in-all, turning 25 has been pretty great! Now I just have to try and plan some fun things to do with Dustin for HIS birthday next week, in between my pathetic attempts to "spring clean" our apartment, make Target runs for school stuff, and keep working on some projects for my classroom this year. School will be here before I know it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...