Sunday, November 7, 2010

Cooking Class

On Tuesday I took a cooking class through Onslow County Parks & Recreation Department. I had originally wanted to take one of their classes in July, but they filled up quickly. This class was about preparing healthy versions of holiday recipes. Since I am hosting Thanksgiving this year, I thought this would be a great opportunity to pick up some new recipes and tips.

There were 12 of us participating in the class, and we whipped up "healthified" green bean casserole, mashed sweet potatoes with apples, apple-berry crisp, and cranberry fluff. Everything tasted pretty good, and was healthy. The thing I realized is: I don't want to mess with holiday favorite recipes. We only have a handful of holidays every year that we really pig out on, and I don't see wanting to change those traditions. I could see making some of these recipes on a regular weekday dinner though, if we wanted a healthy taste of the holidays during the rest of the year.


I also got to take home a packet of 30 salad and 30 soup recipes, which I am excited to read through and try out. Nothing goes with November chilly weather like soup! Plus, a photographer for the Daily News stopped by, and I might be in the newspaper sometime soon. I am keeping my eyes peeled!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...