Monday, March 14, 2011

Hubby's Never-ending Journey of School

When I met my hubby he was going to college at a local community college to be a restaurant manager someday. That was about 7 years ago. It seems that not a year has gone by without him taking classes somewhere, yet there were always hiccups along the way, papers not turned in, classes dropped, majors changed, etc. Going to school becomes more difficult when you are working full-time to pay bills and tuition, which I didn't have to worry about due to scholarships. Fast forward to joining the Marine Corps, we get engaged, and decide that he needs to get back to school in order to have more career options available should he decide not to re-enlist.

183167_197972223564368_197971900231067_682787_6719732_n_large
weheartit.com

So, for the last year and a half he has been taking classes online through American Military University. He officially filed all of his transfer papers and began back in August 2009. He is majoring in Criminal Justice, and it is looking like he will be about halfway done with school by the end of this summer. Yippee! Here's to crazy hoping that he can still graduate with a bachelor's degree by his EAS in December 2012, but with deployments always looming, I am very cautious about getting my hopes up at this point.

We are very fortunate to be using the military educational benefits offered. Dustin has been able to get 18 credits (6 courses - $4,500) paid for through tuition assistance each year since he is active duty. Also, we finally filed all the paperwork for his GI benefits, so he can start using some of that to help in taking more than just 18 credits a year. I am feeling good about the fact that he is using these 4 years in the USMC to keep going on his education - I just can't wait for the day when we don't have tests and papers to stress over all weekend long!

In other news, Dustin found out he is going on some field thing, I don't really know what/why, but I am going to be here by my lonesome for about 4 weeks while he is out of state. And guess what that means? - another break in school, of course! It stinks that he will be gone for so long, BUT I'm a glass half-full kind of girl and I am grateful that he will be back in town in time for us to go on our Spring Break trip to Las Vegas!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...