Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hurricane Irene Preparation

I lived in Florida for six years, and experienced my own fair share of hurricanes while I was there. However, during that time I lived about 80 miles from the coast, so it took quite a bit for a hurricane to come and get us in little old Gainesville.

Well now we live about 20 miles from the coast, and a category three major hurricane is headed our way. I am such a weather dork! I even checked the weather channel during my precious 30-minute break from the kids today at work. As I left work today I found out that school will be getting out two hours early tomorrow, so I will be checking my phone obsessively tonight and tomorrow morning to make sure that stays the case.

I have done more than I usually ever do to prepare for a hurricane. We have two flashlights with fresh batteries, lots of candles and two lighters, MREs in our closet, and lots of filtered water!

So, the big question is, what am I missing from this list? My mom already told me we should try to get a battery-powered radio so we can keep updated during the storm if power or internet goes out. Jacksonville peeps, what are you doing to prepare for the storm?

3 comments:

  1. Make sure you have enough cash and a tank full of gas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ACUs and ABCs
    Thanks for the tip! We are always bad about having cash, and gas is on my "before school" tomorrow to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with ACU/ABC's to make sure you have a tank full of gas, some cash on you, and definitely some non-perishable foods (I know you have MRE's but still!) Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...