Saturday, January 7, 2012

Communicating with the Hubs

So, my hubby is all settled in and started his day-to-day duties during his deployment. Trying to figure out the best way to communicate with each other has been interesting to say the least. I wonder what people did before the Internet was EVERYWHERE? Dustin's phone is on airplane mode, but he brought his iPhone with him, and we have been able to use it to communicate, infrequent as it may be. So how do I talk to my hubby? Oh, let me count the ways.

Text Message - I have no idea how Dustin managed it, but he got a number assigned to him where I can text him for free. Although, come to think of it, he hasn't written me back from that number since Christmas Eve!

Tango - Tango is an app for the iPhone where you can basically Facetime, but without having to place the phone call first. I have been able to see him via our Tango chats, but for some reason he can't see me! I think Skype might work a little better, but unfortunately we are lame and don't have webcams on either of our laptops.

Facebook Messenger - Dustin and I both downloaded the Facebook Messenger app, which basically just sends your Facebook messages as text messages to your phone. That has been the most consistent way for us to talk back and forth.

USO Phone - The place where Dustin is has a USO phone, where he can make a 30 minute phone call to anyone for free. I've gotten 3 phone calls from him so far and it has been wonderful to get to hear his voice!

In hindsight, I really wish when we had bought a laptop that we had bought one with a build in webcam, because that would have made video conferencing a lot easier to use! But I have to say that I am so grateful to have as much communication as we have.

Next on my list is to put together a package to send the hubby. So far he has requested spicy sunflower seeds and beef jerky. I think it takes at least three weeks for the package to get to him, so I am trying to think of some Valentine ideas to send as well. Hopefully I put it all together this weekend so I can mail it out one day this week after school.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...