Sunday, January 8, 2012

Trying Coupon Cutting for the Second Time

Since I am trying to eat somewhat healthy (aka at home) and save money in 2012, I thought I should give coupon cutting and shopping the sales another try. I am no pro by any means, but today I bought $152 worth of groceries and cat food for $98. I think that $54 of savings is pretty good for my first week at it.

I have to admit the coupons were really a small part of it because I only bought things that were on sale at Food Lion. But then I clipped and used $7.50 worth of coupons from my Sunday newspaper this week, and used $2 worth of electronic coupons that I loaded onto my Food Lion MVP card. If you haven't tried that yet, it is pretty nifty. Through the Food Lion web site you can register your MVP card and load coupons onto your card. Then when you buy your groceries, the coupons automatically get activated as the food scans. I think that is pretty neat-o! As an extra bonus today, the register printed out a bunch of box tops tickets for me, so I get to turn in $6.00 worth of box tops for my school as well. By saving those box tops this year our school has already received over $1,000 this school year alone.

I have plenty of food in my pantry, freezer, and fridge now, so I am hoping my $98 goes a long way! I still have a few things I need to go buy at the commissary though, since the prices there are way less on some of my favorite foods (like Laughing Cow cheese and pretty much all meats). Healthy, at home eating is one new years' resolution that I can honestly say is getting off to a pretty good start!

3 comments:

  1. I think that's pretty awesome savings! I have such a hard time with coupons, they never offer deals on things we buy! But luckily I never need anything SUPER expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep trying the coupon thing too but I just stink at it. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try the couponing I always forget to get the Sunday paper and I don't have my food lion card anymore I just type in my phone number. :/ wonder if I could get my card number so I could do that transfer thingy on the web. hmm

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...