Saturday, May 19, 2012

Paris Plans

While I am in the middle of planning my own vacation to Paris this summer, I thought I would share my plans with all of you - in case you ever feel like experiencing a summer in Paris (and I mean, who doesn't feel like that?).

Without further ado, here is my Paris Bucket List for this summer (complete with pictures I took during my last Europe trip in 2007, and the occasional Pinterest pin).

Eiffel Tower - It just isn't a trip to Paris without a trip to see the Eiffel Tower. I didn't go up to the top last time, and I don't particularly care to this trip either. But it is a MUST that Dustin and I take a sunset river cruise (which departs very near the tower) and have a sickeningly romantic picnic of wine, cheese, and baguette on the lovely green space overlooking the Eiffel Tower.


Louvre - Being that I was a huge art history buff in high school, it is so neat to see all those famous pieces of artwork in person! Plus Dustin will certainly appreciate the museum thanks to his love of The Da Vinci Code.


Monet's Garden - During my time studying abroad, we rented bikes and took a lovely scenic ride to Monet's gardens and house in Giverny. It was a highlight of the trip, and I can't wait to share this special day with my hubby! This time we are going to book a tour through Big Fat Bike Tours, just so that we don't have to try and find a place to rent a bike and stumble through rudimentary French conversational speech (between the two of us, we know about three phrases in French).


Versailles - Last trip to Versailles involved a giant rainstorm, and there is little to know shelter when you are in the middle of the gardens. I was completely soaked and miserable, not to mention that the Hall of Mirrors was under renovation during my last visit. I am looking forward to a much better experience this time around!


Foodie Heaven - If you like to eat, and eat well, then Paris will make you think you have died and gone to heaven! I plan to revisit a delicious mussels and french fries spot, Leon de Bruxelles, and indulge in far too many street stand crepes stuffed with Nutella goodness. I plan to be bold and try as many kinds of stinky cheese that I can - because Parisians take their cheese very seriously! Oh, and I have to revisit my other favorite French spot - the cafe outside the Paris mosque. They have delicious mint tea and a wonderfully relaxing atmosphere set up there. Other French specialties I have to try in France include: caviar, escargot, macarons, croque monsieur, cafe au lait, and probably more things I can't remember right now.

Wine - I love some good wine - and Paris is wine heaven! There are plenty of great bottles of wine for only $5 or so at the corner grocery stores. I mean, even the homeless people in Paris drink wine and their beverage of choice (a fact that was kind of funny to me, given the classy feel of wine in America). Who knows? We may even try a wine tasting or two while we are at it, like this one held by O Chateau.



Sacre Couer - The hilltop location of this church really lets you take in the Parisian city lights, and has a very calm, serene feeling to it. I can't really remember the inside of the church, since pictures were not allowed, but I remember that it was absolutely breathtaking and spiritual.



Pink Flamingo Pizzeria - Never been here before, but how cute is it that after you order your pizza, they give you a pink balloon, and will find you and deliver your pizza to you when it is ready. How romantic and quirky!



City of Love - Definitely have to latch a lock onto this lovely bridge, plus search out the lovers' wall and snap a cutesy photo.





Taste of America - I know, it seems silly to go anywhere "American" on a Europe trip - but I have to remember that Dustin has been halfway around the world in a combat zone for the last six months of so. He wants a little bit of home on this trip also, so I rounded up a list of English-speaking and beer-serving establishments in the heart of Paris. Dustin was pretty happy to hear that these places would be making our list in our week in France. The places we are probably going to check out include The Bombardier in the Latin Quarter, Stolly's, and The Lizard Lounge in the Marais district.




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...