Sunday, January 2, 2011

Winter Break in Georgia

I have been AWOL off my blog for the last few weeks as I wrapped up school stuff at the beginning of December, and then prepared for our 10-day trip back home to Georgia to celebrate the holidays.

In order to avoid the Christmas travel traffic, and to get back home in time to do some last-minute shopping and still make it for Christmas Eve Dinner, we decided to leave at 4:00 in the morning on Christmas Eve morning. It was a little crazy, but it turned out being a great idea! We wrangled the cats to try and get them packed away in their separate boxes / cages, but our new kitty Colby, didn't like the idea of being put in a box and promptly clawed his way out. So, the two kitties got to travel together in the same cage.

We spent Christmas Eve with Dustin's side of the family, eating dinner and opening presents at his grandparents' house out by Athens. We got some neat decorations for our house, and it was fun watching our nephews and niece open their presents from us.



This year started our new tradition of getting new pajamas for Christmas Eve! In fact, I got two sets of jammies - one from Dustin, and a set from my mom complete with a robe and fluffy slippers.

We woke up Christmas morning and opened our presents! Dustin and I were spoiled with goodies - like the Playstation Move with a Zumba game, so I can now work out from the comfort of my family room, a tree skirt for our Christmas tree, a gift card to Cracker Barrel, and Atlanta Falcons jerseys and memorabilia. We surprised my whole family with tickets to the Falcons' Monday Night Football game in the Georgia Dome! Everybody was really stoked about getting to see an NFL football game together as a family - a first for both Dustin and myself.


Our family had some delicious egg casserole, hash brown casserole, my delicious cinnamon-bun Christmas tree, and mimosas - yummy!

We cleaned up the presents and got started working on Christmas Day dinner - turkey with all the trimmings! Atlanta was lucky to have a memorable white Christmas - the first in over 100 years. Dustin and I were so glad to have a beautiful white Christmas!




Over the course of this week we got to play a ton of fun family games, like Cranium, Spades, Bunko, and Yahtzee! All this fun game time has made me realize that we really need to get back on track with some game nights with friends back in North Carolina this spring.

Monday we headed to the Falcons game in downtown Atlanta. We tailgated with some yummy spiked hot chocolate, and then enjoyed cheering on the Dirty Birds in the Dome. Unfortunately, the Falcons lost, but we all had a terrific time!





Wednesday we did some shopping and met up with two of my good friends, Calli and Brittany, for Mexican food and catching up at Frontera. Thursday night we met up with Dustin's family for a fun night of dinner and games at Dave and Buster's. We played some basketball shoot-out, skee-ball, Guitar Hero, and all those fun arcade games - while sipping on a delicious drink they have called the Shizzle - pineapple and coconut - mmmm!










It really has been wonderful spending time with all my family here in Georgia, and I can't wait until our next trip back to Atlanta!

1 comment:

  1. I'm coming over to do Zumba with you. That way I only look like a fool in front of you! :) Looks like a great trip home!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...