Saturday, October 1, 2011

Apple Ideas from Pinterest


Even though there are no apple orchards within two hours of us (living by the coast and all), I always associate September/October with apples! So when the temperature dipped a bit this weekend, I pulled out my leggings and boots, but didn't reach for the Pumpkin Spice Latte, like so many others may have in these circumstances. Instead, I opted for a delicious apple coma! In fact, even Coldstone Creamery agrees with me, because their Apple Pie A La Coldstone, which was just to die for! I know that Northerners have probably already done the apple phase, but we just do things a little slower here in the South, and that includes our seasons!

Over the course of the weekend I attempted two different apple recipes I spied via Pinterest.

The first was an apple cocktail.


It called for two parts ginger ale (I used Diet Canada Dry), two parts apple cider (unfortunately ours wasn't the good kind with the dark, cloudy color) and one part bourbon (we used Jack Daniel's). The drink certainly looked pretty, and I made myself a cute apple slice garnish as well! The smell was a little strong to me, but it didn't taste quite as strong as it smelled. I would say, if you don't like bourbon that much you probably wouldn't like the drink using these proportions. But, making it with, say, 4:4:1 ratio instead of 2:2:1 ratio might make drinking it more enjoyable. Here is my Florida Gator glass (gotta support my team!)


While watching the football game, I baked some apple chips, also found through Pinterest.


The recipe couldn't have been easier: apples (two large or four small), one tablespoon sugar, and one teaspoon cinnamon. The hardest part was cutting the apples. I chopped off one side of the apple, laid it on that severed/flat side, and then sliced super-thin slices of apple. If a seed appeared, I made a triangle-shaped cut around it and popped that part out.



Then I just laid them all out on a nonstick-sprayed pan, sprinkled them with the cinnamon sugar mixture, and baked at 200 degrees for two hours.


I think the two hours would probably be better at more like 2 + 1/2 hours or 3 hours, because ours were still kind of chewy.


Nonetheless, they were so delicious and relatively healthy as well!

And, in unrelated news, this post has made me realize I desperately need a nicer camera than my iPhone one.

You can join up in the Pinterest challenge by clicking below. Keep pinning away!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...