Sunday, October 2, 2011

Target Practice with my Marine

For months, Dustin has been trying to drag me out to the shooting range to learn how to shoot a gun. To be honest, I knew it would probably be interesting, and possibly useful if we ever bought one ourselves. So today we headed out to Sportsman's Lodge on Highway 17. Dustin had the guy behind the counter pick out something for me that wouldn't have much kickback, since I was a first timer. The guy asked me, not even a BB gun? Nope. So we rented a pistol (it weighed a lot more than I expected), a box of ammunition, ear protection, and eye protection.


Girl moment of the day, we are walking to open the door to the actual firing range, and I notice the sign says not to enter without your ear protection on. I go to tell Dustin that, and at the same time somebody fired a round. I nearly jumped out of my skin I was so spooked! I actually dropped my ear and eye things I was holding! Luckily, after that first noise I didn't flinch anymore.

Dustin showed me how to do all the steps, loading the ammunition and everything, and then we just took turns practicing shooting at the target. I think I did pretty well for a first timer. I hit the center at least a dozen times!


Dustin rented a more powerful handgun. I tried it once and swear I may have ended up hitting the ceiling, my hands moved that much when I pulled the trigger. Needless to say, I need the "least intense" version. It was a pretty fun afternoon, and I'm actually looking forward to going again sometime. It makes me feel like I am acting out a part of all those detective shows I love to watch on TV.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...